Sunday, July 19, 2026

A game design concept in the making: SpyGames (Update): Part #10

Hello its Bimonthly Bonus blogging time again, and its personal project update time again! Because today I'm giving another quick update on Adventures In SpyGames.








The logo for Adventures In SpyGames


When we last left off, I discussed my struggles with progress with obtaining more first person footage for each of these actions. Today Im giving some quick updates on where things are now.



Well I have good news and bad news, the good news is i was able to film more footage and get some of the voices down, the bad news is, im still making slow progress, even after giving myself an extra week!


After some chosing my options, I decided to chose Gmod, However there are some catches. For starters, I have to relly on premade maps and models due to Gmods age and the complexity of its Hammer editor. I also cant edit them without some conversion and if i do it requires a little more work to get the textures in correctly. This is a slight problem in that i cant directly change how anything looks, but considering how the apple II filter and the fact ists still just some simple shapes with little objects and detail, i think i can make it work. Finding maps was a slight headache but nothing too bad.


Basically I plan to have 2 maps: One for inside and one for outside. Ashford Acadamy with stand as Littledale University, Normal Mall and johnston mall will stand as Twin Peaks mall, some GTA recreation maps will stand as miscelanious locations etc.


I know this isn't exactly photorealistic, but at this point ill take what I can get. Anyway heres how it looks.






Some of the new footage




Speaking of things that WERE a headache however is linux. I am starting to grow a buring hatrid for linux the more and more it breaks down on me! So one day I tried starting up the ubuantu VM and it just refused to boot. After a few more failed attempts I decided to try making another Linux VM, this time using Mint. I chose Mint because people often say it is “Beginner Friendly”. You say how I didn’t say user friendly? Well that’s deliberate because other than installing the os, it becomes the same terminal tied garbage that Ubuntu was! In fact I wasn’t even able to install TMSexpress because the required Homebrew software isn’t built in and doesn’t even come with mint! Can somebody please explain to me why this is necessary?! Why do I keep having to install garbage like this when I should be able to click on an icon and the program just works?! Luckily for whatever reason, the Ubuntu VM, for whatever reason, suddenly decided to start booting correctly again and to avoid another atrocity, I just used a save state (thank god Virtual Box allows you to save the state of the machine!). Anyway here’s some speech samples 







Character speech in TMS Express



Again, it doesn’t sound great or anything, but I’d say that the real thing probably would have similar results so it it’s aulthentic, and it works.



So overall while i have made some progress, and i think that i can at least get something playable done by friday, I think that after that it’s done. Again looking back this project has been a trainwreck however it turns out at least ive had a good run and its at least led me to meet some interesting people, but until then that wraps it up for my entry today, as always, Thanks for reading! see you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment